1.08.2013

Haitian lemon-habanero pork


On Christmas Day, I get a voicemail from a stranger. Her name is Mirielle Jean-Francois. She's from Haiti but lives in Massachusetts. She must have gotten my email, which basically said that I'd heard that she was a good cook from a guy she knows, and would she teach me how to cook her favorite dish? You can't hear her sparkling voice, but maybe you can see it if I write it down: "Good Morning Lindsay, Merry Christmas to you and your family...I am excited about cooking with you and helping you with your story. I think you will be elated. We can talk about what I should cook, and then we'll take it from there. I think you will have a great experience and your story will be wonderful. I hope to talk to you soon. Call me anytime. Bye." Click the links at right for the story of what happened next.